Wednesday 3 November 2010

Update Number 4

Sent: 29 September 2010 09:05
Morning all,

Jeeze, no such thing as a lie-in here! They come and do my temperature and blood pressure at 7am and wake me up!! I might see if there is some way I can manoeuvre myself so they can just do it on my dribbling sleeping body without waking me- I'm sure they'll appreciate that!! You can see I'm a morning person! I say that but then I remember my first couple of beds here and backtrack pretty quickly! Slept like a baby with no medication and on my tummy- bliss!!

Firstly and most importantly, no news yet. My kooky professor has been AWOL so hopefully is standing with a gun to the techy's head to speed them up or most probably doesn't want to answer questions he can't before he can if that makes sense. We are all just waiting for the
imminent knock on the door. Saying that there is truth in the saying ignorance is bliss! We'll see what happens today.

Yesterday was a day of drama, not for me but for the hospital. A securicor van was held up by gunmen outside the hospital doors at about midday yesterday. They fired shots in the air so no one was hurt but took off with the money so the police cordoned off the road in front of
the hospital. It made it a bit difficult when I was let out for lunch!! Yep indeedy- I was given day release!!!!!!

Prof bower came in yesterday mid morning and told them to take the canyula out of my arm and redo my dressing of my drain to a much smaller one which i was grateful for as the cardiologist had put the 5 inch dressing on when i was slightly sitting up so i couldnt stand up
straight or lie flat because it wouldn't give so everyone thought i had a hunchback for my first couple of days here!! In between minute long gazes out of the window, asking me if I had seen anyone jump from the walkways (apparently someone 'fell' off a 4th floor walkway a couple of
months ago) and bantering with dad about football, the prof said didn't have a problem with me getting out of here and having some lunch. So in true McCaughey style we went to 8 over 8!!! Amy and sam joined us and we all sat in silence as we had seen each other so much we all had nothing to say!!!

God it helped my sanity and my tastebuds but was a little tiring- not a complaint I promise. You forget that life goes on when you are in your hospital bubble.

Then in the evening simon took me on a date. We went to dinner and I had grilled Cod and went to a film- okay I ate my hospital food and snuggled on my bed watching lethal weapon (so wonderfully rubbish!!) but it was fab. What a cheap date I am but I have informed him that this will not constitute a date when we are back home- I will demand more!!! It's
wonderful to snuggle- I've been lacking as i've had things in my arm and simon and the family have been hugging me like I have leprosy in fear they might hurt me. Now I am squeezed and cuddled which is very important I feel!

Mum and I had girly morning yesterday. She spent a small fortune in organic pharmacy getting shampoo, spray, cleanser, moisturiser, conditioner, you name it. So my room kind of smells like a lush store at the moment. It was so nice to get cleaned up and feel human and little pretty as well. I also keep forgetting that my nightdress is backless and gapes open from time to time so I think I am becoming popular for all the wrong reasons in my mainly male ward!! Simon runs behind me manically trying to cover my modesty while I am oblivious. I did wonder why I was always being let to the front of the tea queue! ;)

It's funny what I can tolerate now. Mum puts this gel on me as I have a couple of heat/ sweat rashes on my back (lovely sorry!) thanks to the plastic mattresses and pillows (Mark maybe you could have a word!!). The gel is really cold so I squeal. Give me a drain in my heart- no
problem!! I've been given little white dvt socks so along with my little nightdress I feel like a Japanese harajuku girl. I'm getting daily injections to thin my blood and prevent clotting as I am sitting on my butt all day. I asked whether aspirin didn't do the same- I was told
that's not protocol emma with a cheeky smile. I reckon I'm onto something here though. 

Goes without saying thanks again for your emails and texts and my secretary Terry will organise my diary for visits. I'm feeling good and really want to see you all and as more time goes on from Monday when we were meant to get the results, I think it'll be good to get people in. I think we might stop putting things on hold so much as there doesn't seem
to be any definitive timeline. Plus I want more presents!!! You know I am totally going to milk this!

For those that asked I am in the Thomas Macauley ward in Chelsea and Westminster still.

I think that's all for today- I'll remember something of great importance when I sign off but hey, that's what tomorrow is for! Today will be another waiting day so will keep you posted.

Lots of love and kisses
Xxx

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment